Crossing the Rainbow Bridge

He came into our lives 5 years ago. He was a quiet little pup with cute curly light brown fur. Our son named him Cooper after the Mini Cooper car. First, because he loves cars and second, because like the Mini Cooper, our new fur baby has a small built. 

The whole family fell in love with him instantly. He was our bunso. We have 3 dogs but he was the one with the preferential treatment. He was the only one who gets to stay inside the house and gets special treats. 

How many times have we lost our resolve not to give him a piece of our food when he looks at you like this?


How many times have I adjusted my workout routine because he wants to lie down in my yoga mat?


How many times have you slept in our bed? Or hurriedly occupying the space left by anyone who left?


But a few months ago, he got sick. He started eating less and grew weak each day. We consulted his vet and she gave him medicines and a new diet. But he still didn't make it. 

It was around 2am of  Sept 20 when we found his lifeless body near our bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom and when I got back, I looked for him to pet him, as I usually do when I wake up in the middle of the night. He looked like he was just sleeping. But when I patted his head, he did not react. I gently called his name, still nothing. I touched his belly but I couldn’t feel his heart beating. Then I started tapping and calling him more forcefully than before. But still nothing. That’s when I knew. He was gone. 

So I woke up hubby and our son and told them. I picked Cooper up and hugged him. He was still warm and soft. It took about 40 minutes before I finally let him go. We wrapped him up in an old pillowcase and let him lie down on the floor while we wait for the sun to come up. 

At 6am, we carried him downstairs and placed him on the wooden swing outside. We waited for everybody to wake up to tell them the news including our other two dogs. Hubby said he read somewhere that other pets should also be given a chance to say goodbye to their "friends" when they passed on. 

Fortunately we have a big space in our garden and we found a place where we can put him to rest. We gathered together and said a small prayer for him. Our son wrote something in a piece of paper and we buried Cooper with it.  

It's been a few months but I still miss him terribly. In fact, this post took so long to finish because every time I try to remember what transpired that night, tears just kept pouring. 

I grew up with dogs but it was always my sister who really took care of them. Not this time. Cooper was our son's first dog so naturally we took care of him. We fed him, bathe him, played with him, took him to the vet. For half a decade, he brought doggie joys in our house. His cute antics will forever be missed. 

                                             "Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts." - Unknown



mommy ara

Comments