A Betweener’s Thoughts

I am not fond of watching local teleseryes because the storylines are usually meh. The only teleseryes I watch these days are those with Alden Richards in it, because I’m a fan. I like seeing him on my TV screen. But the sad truth is, his shows aren’t that great either. They always start out really good but eventually the story starts crashing after a few weeks. 

But not this time. His current teleserye, The World Between Us, is really promising. Eight weeks in and I am still replaying previous episodes. It continues to surprise me. I can’t remember the many times I thought a story arc will go this way and it doesn’t. There were similar plot lines used in several teleseryes but here, it was resolved more quickly so it does not get dragging. 

In an interview, Alden said that he considers this project as the best from all the teleseryes he did in the last 5 years. After 8 weeks of airing, I believe him. Fans’ prayers that he’d be given a good material with a good team to execute it from beginning to end seems to have been answered. 


Many likened it to a KDrama  with its fast-paced storytelling and appealing aesthetics (the view, the backgrounds, the clothes, etc.). The director confirmed this in an interview, that it was indeed patterned on how Kdramas are presented. Additionally, the actors are all good, from the leads down to the supporting actors and actresses and even the bit players. The injection of science concepts like physics and thermodynamics among others and applying them to real life situations was a surprising and smart inclusion.

This is Alden and Jasmine's third project together but it's their first full  teleserye team-up. I already liked them in their 5-part TV series, Love on the Balcony, last year. And I like them better now. I think they look good together and they play the deeply in love characters to a tee. 

Unfortunately, the show had to go on a break because the government mandated ECQ (due to rise in COVID19 cases) a while back required them to stop filming. Eventually they ran out of material for their upcoming episodes so, they decided to take a season break to catch up and be back on Nov 15. 

The teaser for next season was released at the end of the final episode of season 1 and it was a bomb! It was only a minute and a half long but I had to catch my breath afterwards because there was so much going on and so much more to look forward to. 3 hours after, I was still reeling from it. So many questions and so many possible scenarios that could happen. 

In the meantime, I’d probably watch all the episodes again and maybe I’ll catch something that I have not seen before. Maybe a clue for what’s in store in the future episodes. 

*Betweeners - followers\supporters/fans of the GMA TV series, The World Between Us




Comments