The Movies In My Mind

This piece has been sitting in my drafts for years already. It was initially intended as a Valentine's Day post but life happened and I never got to finish it. Then I came across it again while I was browsing my drafts and decided to pursue it.  

This is a list of some of my favorite romantic movies of all time. My go-to flicks when I need a perk-me-up. Hence, I have seen these films more than once. Maybe even thrice...or more.

Please be reminded that I am no movie critic so these are all my opinions based on my own personal preferences. And I am a big Leonardo DiCaprio fan so you might see a couple or more of his movies here. 

Starting off...

Titanic
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet


Why I love it: 
First because Leo was in it. 
Second, I like the story and I appreciated James Cameron's efforts to look into the historical details of the event and weaved it into the movie. The details are amazing.

Favorite Scene/s:
- The round table dinner with the rich people. Jack's line, "Make it count." stuck to me. 
- When Jack and Rose kissed while they were standing at the tip of the ship. Romantic and sweet. 
- When Jack and Rose passed by the boiler room when they were being chased by Mr. Lovejoy. I loved how Rose's dress blew with the wind as they were running.
- When Rose was trying to get Jack out of his chains. That practice set with the axe was both scary and funny at the same time. 

Soundtrack: 
This movie introduced me to the the beauty of instrumental music. It also proved to be very useful at that time because it helped me to concentrate when I was reviewing for the board exams. Oh yeah, I passed =)



Romeo and Juliet
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes

 

This is the 1996 version directed by Baz Lhurman. It was a modern take on the classic tale by Shakespeare about a pair of young star-crossed lovers.

Why I love it: 
Again, because Leo was in it. And I was amazed at how Baz Lhurman was able to modernize such a classic tale. I mean, who would have thought that you could replace the swords with guns and brand it as "Sword" so Shakespeare's lines still holds true.

Favorite Scene/s:
- The aquarium scene where Romeo and Juliet first laid eyes on each other while the song "I'm Kissing You" hums in the background.
- The 360 degree kissing scene in the elevator. Love the shot. Love the music.
- The balcony scene where Juliet was wearing her angels wings and where she said the line "My only love sprung from my only hate..." I think it is Claire Danes' most beautiful image. 

Soundtrack: 
I enjoyed listening to all the songs in the soundtrack since I was into that kind of music at that time. Top favorites were Kissing You, Young Hearts Run Free and You and Me Song.



A Walk to Remember
Starring: Mandy Moore and Shane West


Why I love it:  
I cannot remember what made me watch this movie because I was not a big Mandy Moore fan. I even think she was a bit annoying at that time. Anyway, I saw it and fell in love with it. I thought Mandy's onscreen chemistry with co-star, Shane West was on point. They really looked good together. I love it so much that I have a copy of the movie, the book and the soundtrack.

Favorite Scene/s:
- When Landon tried to fulfill Jamie's bucket list which included being in two places at once, and getting a tattoo. Ingenious! 

Soundtrack: 
I love the song selection in the soundtrack. Top favorites will be Someday We'll Know, Dancing in the Moonlight and It's Gonna Be Love. 


While You Were Sleeping
Starring: Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman


Why I love it: 
It's another one of those sweet and cheesy movies that I adore. 

Favorite Scene/s: 
- When Lucy and Jack were talking about the "leaning" thing and then Joe Jr. appeared
- The proposal at the token booth

Soundtrack: 
"This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) ended up in our wedding song list!



Letters to Juliet
Starring: Amanda Seyfried and Christopher Egan


Why I love it:  
I think I have a thing for Romeo and Juliet inspired movies and this is one of them. Plus the scenery is breathtaking. Makes me want to go to Italy.

Favorite Scenes:
- When Charlie found out who replied to his grandmother's letter. I thought his "What were you thinking?" line was really funny. I felt his frustration. 
- When Sophie and Charlie kissed while they were lying on the grass one moonlit night.

Soundtrack: 
I love the song "You Got Me". It started a Colbie Caillat listening marathon. 



The Proposal
Starring: Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds


Why I love it: 
I love this film because it was hilarious. I love bossy Sandra.

Favorite Scene/s:
- That Margaret and Grandma Annie's tribe-like dance. Betty White was so adorable in that scene. 
- That body bumping scene between Margaret and Andrew. Sexy!

Soundtrack: 
There were a few good tracks but I can't say I like the whole thing.



Imagine You and Me
Starring: Alden Richards and Maine Mendoza



Why I love it: 
I was crazy about the lead stars when this came out. For a fan like me, I felt that the movie delivered exceptionally.  Their chemistry was off the charts. This movie also had a touch of Romeo and Juliet because the female lead was reading the book. I also love the location and how it was presented.

Favorite Scenes:
- The roundabout-almost-seeing-each-other scene at the beginning of the film. It was exhilarating.
- Gara's photo op by the very plain wall when Andrew caught her following him. Gara made this lame excuse that she was just strolling around. 
- The lying-in-the-park-bench-while-reading scene. It was cute and sweet. 
- The boat scene because it showed the beauty of Lake Como in Italy.
- The 360 degree kiss at the end. That was a surprise. 

Soundtrack: 
OPM (Original Pilipino Music) at it's best. Well, except for that one song that I am not so crazy about. Only Alden and Maine can make me sing along with it. =)


Hello, Love, Goodbye
Starring: Alden Richards and Kathryn Bernardo


Why I love it: 
Among the local celebrities, I like Alden the most. I think he's a talented actor. But this movie paring with Kathryn Bernardo was quite a surprise mainly because they were from rival stations and team-ups. Many were even skeptical if their tandem would work, including myself, but it did. I think it was a perfect blend of romance, comedy and drama. The two leads complemented each other. Physically, they were an eye candy.  Acting-wise, both delivered quite well. 

Favorite Scenes:
- The "Andito na ko, asan na ang cell phone ko?" scene. That Kiko Matsing voice by Ethan was amusing.
- When Joy visited Ethan at his home after he missed work for several days without word. I love the "Need a friend today?" part and when they were talking along the sea shore.
- The "Naka make-up ka ba?" jealousy scene. It was too cute. I was smiling giddily the whole time. 
- The rooftop scene. It was poignant. You want to be happy for them but you know heartbreak is just around the corner. 
- The confrontation scene where the line "Kung mahal mo ko, ba't pinapapipili mo ko?" came from. It was heartbreaking.
- The last days inn Hongkong montage. It was bittersweet.

Soundtrack: 
They used 5 songs only and I love them all. It was my daily jam for quite a while. 


So there goes a few of my favorite movies of all time. How about you, what's on your list?



 

Comments