Hangin' Tough with the New Kids!

Call it second childhood but watching the recent NKOTBSB concert at the Mall of Asia Arena felt like I went back to being a teenager swooning over my celebrity crushes. For two solid hours I forgot I am in my mid-30s with a husband and a 6-year old son.  


Note: I am a certified Blockhead so this post is mostly about the Kids than the Boys. 

The New Kids on the Block ain't new and neither are they kids anymore, that's for sure. Heck, they're 40-something men with families of their own. But who cares? At least not their loyal fans who waited with bated breath for their comeback. I know I don't care.



So yes, I paid P3,700 to see 40-year old men sing their bubblegum pop songs and dance to the same steps that made them famous in the late 80s to the early 90s. But heck, they still got IT, (as their song goes) the right stuff! And man, they look good! Better than the Boys, if I must say. (Peace!)


The show started with 3 front acts, 2 of which (Jay-R and some rapper I do not know) were introduced by Donnie Wahlberg no less. Mr. D's sudden appearance during the front acts was quite a surprise. It was totally unexpected that my sister had to convince me that it was really Donnie up there on stage. 

Then at around 9:30pm, the lights dimmed for the nth time that night. Images of the letters N-K-O-T-B-S-B and faces of the 9 guys was projected on a white sheet draped in front of the stage. The crowd started screaming! 

Then with a bang the white sheet fell to the floor revealing the New Kids and the Boys standing behind it. And then the magic began. 

Me and my sister were up on our feet singing (more of shouting) and dancing the whole time.



You Got It (The Right Stuff)
We were up on the Upper Box section so we were quite far from the stage but we could still see them pretty well. Watching them perform live was really quite an experience. 

The highlight of my night would probably be when the New Kids sang I'll Be Loving You (Forever), my absolute favorite New Kids song. Oh, I was in love with Jordan Knight! For years, I secretly celebrated his birthday by listening to any New Kids song. Adolescence!

Jordan Knight serenading the audience with I'll Be Loving You (Forever)
They also sang a couple of songs from their latest album, The Block, released in 2008. They did Summertime, the first single from that album; and Dirty Dancing. They performed the latter in tight fit jeans and black A-shirts. Oooh sexy!

When I missed their first Manila concert in 1992, I thought that was it. Then they split in 1994, my dream of ever seeing them together went puffed. Who would have thought that they will reunite 20 years later and go back to Manila?

Super duper thanks to my dearest hubby for indulging in my yet another juvenile tendencies. He even dropped me in MOA Arena and waited for me and my sister until the concert was over. To think he has work the following day! Love you Daddy! Thanks, thanks, thanks! I'll be loving you forever!

Upper Box Section 404 Seats A3 & A4
My collection that I kept thru all these years
In my attempt to relive the concert, here is the Concert Setlist (NKOTB only) with links to You Tube videos taken by fans. Thank you Blockheads for the vids!
Other links:
I'll Be the One/ Single/ Summertime (9:35 minutes)
Step by Step/ Cover Girl/ My Favorite Girl/ Games / Tonight (22:04 minutes) 

Related Articles/ Blogs:
Philippine Concerts

Music Review: Boy band 'marriage' rocks Manila in nostalgic concert
By Roehl Nino Bautista, GMA News June 7, 2012

The N-K-O-T-B-S-B Concert: Boyband Fever Hits Manila Again
By Abby Mendoza, www.pep.ph June 11, 2012 

Tweets:




 
 

 
 

Comments

  1. Hi ara! Thanks for sharing your blog :) i really enjoyed reading your story and i am sooooooo happy that you were able to attend the concert and experience the moment of a lifetime! I know the feeling... I have been to 3 concerts before but this time i am sooooo fulfilled because i could share the happiness and fun reliving that night, with you and with my other pinay friends.. Iba talaga if we are talking the same topic .. hehe
    We will just hope that this is not the end yet... so we could be still be in our TEENS :) ... JK Forever :) hugs jojo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Glad you liked my blog post. Feel free to share. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment