Raising a Bookworm

I love books. I have been reading since I was in early grade school. Even before I was eligible to have a library card, I was already reading any story book I could get my hands into. I also made friends with a classmate who devours books for breakfast so I got hooked since. 

Now I have a 6-year old who seems to be developing the same fondness that I have for books. He does not know how to read yet but he likes being read to. It has become mandatory that me and his Dad read to him at least 2 books (of his own choosing) each night before he sleeps. We read to him in the vernacular to be consistent with his school's curriculum to teach and enhance the mother tongue first before introducing a second language. I now appreciate those books that has both the English and Filipino translation as it saves us the trouble of translating it ourselves.

To stir things up a bit, I sometimes let him do the storytelling especially for books that we have read a thousand times and he already knows by heart. Other times, he creates his own stories. There is still a big room for improvement on this area as most of his stories are like fuzzy dreams that starts at one point and ends in a totally different place. Sometimes I get lost listening to him. I'm sure it will get better in time. (One of his stories may be found here.)

For now, me and hubby are combining our efforts to instill in him the value of books and reading. I'm sure someday soon I will be the one begging him to put down the book he's reading and do his homework or some house chores he is tasked to do. Memories of me and my mother suddenly pops in mind. Hahaha!   
  
Miguel's Mini Library

Comments