Kung Hei Fat Choi

Kung Hei Fat Choi to everyone! Especially to all my fellow Dragon-born peeps. This is our year!

Ongpin St., Sta. Cruz, Manila 

We got an invite from my father to have Sunday lunch in Binondo earlier last week. At that time, I couldn't think of any important family event that was occurring on that day, or that week for that matter, so the invitation was quite baffling. Only when we arrived in Binondo did I realize the reason for the invite. It was the Chinese New Year! And my father the Lolo wanted to show Miguel the festivities of the occasion particularly the  dragon dances.

We had lunch at Cafe Mezzanine, a small Chinese restaurant near Binondo church. It was jam-packed, as all the other Chinese restaurants in the area. It took quite a while before we were given a table.

Cafe Mezzanine, Nueva St., Binondo, Manila

The food was not as good as the other Chinese restos that we frequently go to like Mañosa in Ongpin and Wah Sun in Sta. Cruz. For one, they didn't have Yang Chow Fried Rice! They had Kiampong instead. This kind of fried rice is really new to me. It was tasty enough but my taste buds were so craving for the more familiar yang chow so it was a bit of a let-down that it was not in the menu. *sad face*

View from Cafe Mezzanine

We did a bit of walking along Ongpin St. after lunch. There was a stage set-up in the corner of Ongpin and Sabino Padlilla Sts. (formerly Gandara St.) where a group of Chinese performers were presenting a Chinese dance when we passed by. At that point I thought, this might be the closest I can get to China.  

Nueva St. 

Nueva St. 

Back view

 The stage

 It was a good family day once again. Too bad my sister and her family could not join us. Maybe next time.

Again, Kung Hei Fat Choi everyone!

 Source: http://www.meetdragons.com/v/paintings/cdp1_001.jpg.html
 

Comments