Pork Siomai

Anyone who knows me know how much I loooooove siomai. And so I thought of trying to do it on my own. Here is my first attempt........

Ingredients:
  • 1 kg ground pork (suggested proportion of fat to lean meat is 1:3) 
  • 1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts or turnips (singkamas)
  • 1/3 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 medium or 1 large minced onion(s)
  • bunch of spring onions or leeks
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 50 pcs. large or 100 pcs. small wanton or siomai wrapper


Procedures:
  1. Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl. 
  2. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each wrapper. Fold and seal.
  3. Meanwhile, boil water and brush steamer with oil.
  4. When the water gets to a rolling boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let stand for 15-20 minutes, longer for larger pieces.
Serve with soy sauce, calamansi and sesame oil. Chilli paste is optional.
 
1st batch

2nd batch

My family's feedback:

Hubby - it tastes like Almondigas
Nanay & Sister Kath - Good
Sister Mai - good but needs a little more singkamas

I think the overall taste is okay but the wrapping definitely needs a lot of improvement. Just look at the pics above, do they look like siomai to you? Anyhow, I guess I'll just have to do it again until I get it right. =)

Comments