Journals

I've been keeping journals since I was in grade school. I think I was about 12yrs old when I started. Back then, all I really write about were the shows that I saw on TV - movies and sitcoms, and my infatuations to certain Hollywood stars like Tom Cruise, Michael J. Fox and New Kids on the Block. There were also entries on real life, school and childhood crushes but my real life was quite boring so I stuck to my 'reel' life.

The reason I started writing journals was actually to practice my English writing skills. But as I progressed, I realized that it was also a good way to sort of document my memories. One can only remember so much. The major stuff can easily be recalled but the details are usually forgotten. That's where journals come in handy.

I enjoy re-reading my journals. It's funny how I can get so overly dramatic on some entries. Or how lame I can be on others. Then there are also some events that I was able to describe in so much detail that re-reading them feels like I was being transported back in time.

I don't think I'll ever stop writing. My journals are my life's 'preservatives'.

* Photo taken from www.infed.org/research/keeping_a_journal.htm

Comments